Finally! Part 2 of our custom DIY bookshelves! If you missed Part 1, be sure to check it out!
As I previously shared, this was the state of chaos in our upstairs "play area" -- the room with absolutely no purpose and no idea what it wanted to be when it grew up. Just take a moment and let it all sink in...
After some major demo, fresh paint, and a little hard labor, we replaced the mess above with these beautiful built-in cabinets. I mean, really. They're SO pretty!!
But alas, our work was far from finished. There was much more work to be done! And by "work," I mean paint. There was a LOT of painting to be done! I don't have any pictures of me crawling around on the floor, 8 months pregnant, painting and sanding and cleaning and repeating this process for all.the.boards., but you can use your imagination. It was... interesting. But I got it done! And then it was time for hubs to get to work!
Through the magic of time-lapse (okay, just regular ol' photos), you can see below the incredible work hubs put into these built-in bookshelves! I didn't take a ton of pics of the details of the process (you can find that by checking out this incredible series of posts from Jeni at Roots & Wings Furniture!), but here's how it looked when he was *almost* finished with the shelves.
So much space, right? I LOVE it! After all the shelves were in, we did some touch-up painting on the white shelves with the help of some painter's tape since the back wall is Repose Gray. Once that was finished, it was time for the vertical trim pieces, the crown moulding up top, and the baseboard along the bottom! Oh, and caulk. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of caulk! 😳
And here she is! Look at all of that space! We have so much room! There's another project we started work on last week that will involve sorting through all of the homeschool books downstairs (that's right -- this pic below doesn't even include our homeschool books!), so I'm certain we'll have more to add to these shelves in the coming weeks. The cabinets are the perfect storage location for all the kids' board/card games.
I couldn't be more thrilled with how beautifully this project turned out! TBH, it actually looks even nicer now than it did when I took this pic last week. I have since purchased a bunch of these white metal bookends to help the kids organize their books and keep them vertical (for mommy's OCD health). They did a really great job!
Oh -- do you remember the rest of the room? Here's a grungy "before" pic to jog your memory...
It got a little update, too!
For starters, I replaced our faux wood blinds with these gorgeous cordless custom Roman Shades in Bellingham Greystone from Home Depot! They took FOREVER to get here (all the way from Vietnam, promptly followed by a mandatory garage quarantine for several days), but they are absolutely perfect for this play-area-turned-loft space!
Between the windows, we added a custom 2" x 24" shelf I stained to match the shelves in the laundry room. I added a galvanized clock and a few decor items, and am just smitten with this wall!
While we'd LOVE to update the furniture in the loft, it just wasn't in the budget. So, I purchased a slipcover from Amazon, and added some extra pillows we weren't using that came with our main living room furniture set, and called it done... for now. 😏 I still plan to add some sort of artwork above the couch, and buy a new lamp--and of course remove the can of paint from the floor next to the end table. LOL.
But overall, this new "grown up" loft is FINISHED! I am so thrilled and honestly absolutely LOVE this space now! It's so lovely to sit in here with a book and a cup of sweet tea, with lots of light pouring in through the windows, while I relax and contemplate giving birth in 16 days.
That's not right at all!
We're deep into the throes of ANOTHER project with built-in bookshelves, cabinets, drawers, AND a desk in our downstairs office! No time to contemplate labor... I've got more painting to do!
Post a Comment