Monday, May 12, 2014

Post-Fontan Day 3

Sunday has been relatively quiet, just as I had expected. But we did make some excellent progress! We were able to get Chase out of bed today! He sat on my lap and let me hold him for hours! It was probably close to 5-6 hours sitting on my lap in the chair! What a wonderful Mother's Day gift for me! The only reason I had to put him back in his bed was so I could run to the bathroom and grab dinner!

In addition, we were able to get him out of bed to go potty since his Foley was removed earlier today. So far (as of 12:40 AM Monday), he's gotten up to potty 3 times! This is a major victory! The more we get him moving, the more built-up fluid is removed, the more comfy he'll be and the closer to home we'll all be!! Way to go, Chase!!!

Chase had a sponge bath tonight courtesy of his Mona! He did great and seemed happy to be cleaned up and wearing one of his gowns.

We were hoping to take out his central line from his neck, but he's just not taking in enough fluid to allow us to do so. They're still using that line to give him fluids and, until he starts drinking on his own, it'll have to stay in. I explained this to him earlier, and was able to get him to take 2 sips of apple juice, so I'm hopeful he'll continue to increase his intake.

We really need to get him to eat something, too. He keeps complaining his tummy hurts, but I think it's just empty since he hasn't eaten anything since Thursday night! Please pray we can get him to up his food and fluid intake. I think too that he's just worried he's gonna have a terrible vomit spell like last night. My poor pumpkin!

He's down to only Tylenol for pain management, which is amazing to me!!! He also started back on his aspirin tonight, with plans to get him back on his pre-surgery BP med soon as well. These were the only daily meds he was on before his Fontan.

My guess is that we'll be looking at a trip to the cardiac step-down unit later today (Monday). That'd be awesome!!! Oh, and his peripheral IV came out tonight, so we're looking at needing to have that one replaced in the morning before he can go to the floor.

He'll get w chest x-ray around 3AM again tonight and we're praying it's not hazy like last nights. His fluid volume continues to be within the normal range.

We expect to see his surgeon around 6:30 AM and are hopeful he may decide to pull one of his chest tubes and possibly his pacing wires. And of course also give us the go-ahead to move upstairs! Maybe.

Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment